I was born in Frankford, a small eastern Ontario town rich in natural beauty. As a child I was inspired by the simple splendour of nature and my art continues to reflect those early feelings. In 1957-59, I attended the Ontario College of Art where I specialized in advertising illustration.
For more than thirty years, I resided in Toronto. During this time I expressed my creativity in batik, watercolours, acrylics and oils. During the 70's my batiks were very popular and became part of many art collections. I was represented by the Canadian Craft Guild in Toronto. My paintings have been shown in the Toronto Watercolour Society juried shows and the Northumberland Art Gallery juried shows in Cobourg. Ontario
On two occasions my acrylics and watercolours have received the David Milne Award for Best in Show at the Bancroft Art Gallery Invitational Show. I resided in Port Hope Ontario from 1989-94 where I was a member of a group of artists at the Port Hope Studio Gallery and the Metcalf Gallery
After moving to Arnprior in 1995, I was involved in many shows:
- In Ottawa at the Upstairs Bistro in summer 1996
- In the fall of 1998, I was the featured watercolour artists at a Sante Restaurant show in Ottawa.
- I was part of the "Rites of Spring" show at the Mill of Kintail for two years
- In January 2000 I had a very successful one person show at the Latcham Gallery in Stouffville (north of Toronto)
- I also had a show at the Old Chelsea Gallery, Chelsea Quebec in the spring of 2001.
- I have participated in a two person show at the Old Chelsea Gallery in April/May 2002.
- For the month of Sept. 2003 I had a successful one person show "The Wonder of Colour", at the Bancroft Art Gallery
Since moving back to Port Hope in 2004, we now divide our time between our Port Hope home and our Lake St. Peter home near Bancroft. My work is exhibited on a regular basis at "The Gallery Gift Shop", (613 623-7399) and at 150 John Street, Arnprior. As well, I show seasonally (May to Nov.) at "The Botanical Glassworks & Gallery", Barry's Bay (613 756-3751)) and "The Old Peterson Road Gallery" in Maynooth, Ontario (613 338-5431).
I can be contacted in Port Hope at (905 885-8264) or Lake St. Peter (613 338-2181).
Copyright(c) 2002 Wanda Martin Hicks. All rights reserved.